Top 8 Most Expensive Pokemon Cards
The popularity of Pokemon sees no bound since its launch in 1995. Also known as Pocket Monsters, Pokemon is undoubtedly one of the most successful brands of all time.
It is the second-best-selling video game franchise with over 368 million copies sold and one billion mobile downloads.
Not only common people but renowned individuals like Logan Paul, too, have shown immense interest and have joined the Pokemon card experience.
Let’s take a look at some of the most expensive Pokemon cards that have not only enjoyed massive popularity but also are worth several hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Most Expensive Pokemon Cards That Are Worth a Fortune
For someone who grew up in the 90s, nothing could be more nostalgic than collecting Poken cards.
- Ishihara GX Promo Card (2017) – $50,000: You would agree that over the years Pokemon has been the source of many amazing cards. Its Ishihara GX Promo Card is one such card that boasts the most unique presentations. Tsunekazu Ishihara, the CEO and President of the Pokemon Company has been immortalized in his card. The card, which was believed to have been given out to the company’s employees, was sold for as much as $50,000 at auction.
- 1st Edition Charizard Holo “Shadowless” ($269,999.99): First released in 1999, the 1st Edition Charizard Holo is a “rare” Pokemon card due to a condition-sensitive issue, hence expensive as well. The card boasts bright color, outstanding print, tremendous focus, and surface subgrade 9.5. The card is authentic and unaltered and is one of the top-notch cards in collecting.
- Trainer No. 1 Trophy (1997) – $150,000.00: The first and rarest trophy card from the First Official Pokemon Tournament, Trainer No. 1 Trophy is the pinnacle of Pokemon. The item card was first released as a Trainer Card and was first awarded to the champions of the qualifying rounds of the Japanese Pokemon Card Game Official Tournament. One of the rarest cards in all hobbies, the 1997 version is rarer than the 1998 & 1999 Pikachu Trophies.
- Pikachu Illustrator (1998) – $243,000.00: The Holy Grail: Pikachu Illustrator PSA 9 Mint (the most valuable Pokemon card) – eBay sells the card at a massive price and is believed to the most valuable Pokemon card in existence. It is rarer than Charizard, Black Lotus, Mickey Mantle, and Honus Wagner. The card was awarded to winners of the illustration contest in 1998.
- Lugia 1st Edition Neo Genesis (2020) – $129,000: For many children, Lugia was an iconic legend. The card was sold at a whopping price ($129,000) at a PWCC auction in 2020.
- Kangaskhan Family Event Trophy (2020) – $150,100: The Kangaskhan Family Event Trophy card was award to all the winning families at a family Pokemon tournament in 1998. Only 11 Gem Mint 10 rated copies were given. In 2020 (October), the card was sold for $150,100 at an auction.
- Tropical Wind (2020) – $65,100: eBay sold the Tropical Wind card for this huge amount last October. From 1999 to 2001, the Pokemon Tropical Mega Battle took place, which witnessed the participation of fans of the Pokemon Trading Card Game from various countries.
- University Magikarp (1998) – $50,100: Shogakukan, a Japanese publishing company, held a series of tests called “The Tamamushi University Hyper Test”. It was intended for primary school children where the participants had to pass the tests within a certain period.
This is a mere list of top-notch and most expensive Pokemon cards.